SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a SINGER 195K1 industrial sewing machine from my aunty, which was in much need of restoration! I thought I would share some photos of the restoration which will hopefully give inspiration to others.






Unfortunately the machine had been left outside for a few weeks so the machine rusted up quick badly as shown. Luckily the motor was working but it was quite noisy from all the debris in the motor from the rust. To be honest, we was considering whether it was restorable! The table especially, since made of wood, had been really damaged from the rain.

Nevertheless, my dad went ahead with the restoration. From what I recall, he first sanded down the metal to get rid of the rust, cleaned out the inside of the motor, cut a chunk of the table off since it had been ruined too much from the rain and was damp, then used paint striper to remove the old paint and then spray painted it with Hammerite metal paint:





SINGER 195K1 in all her glory!

We also had to adjust the hook timing on the machine as the needle was hitting the bobbin case, so that took quite long and a lot of searching on YouTube to find videos on how to adjust it.

We ordered a V-belt of eBay as well instead of the usual leather (known as a leather treadle belt) because they are bit more easy to get hold off. Spare bobbins and needles were also ordered on eBay.

I've already started using the machine and I really really really like it! My SINGER 538 is a good machine but for thick fabrics or even thick seams, it struggles so badly. No matter how many times I change the needle or settings it just can't handle it. Since I want to start making trousers and saree blouses, I need a machine to be able to go over thick seams, and the SINGER 195K1 does that! I'm still using the SINGER 538 for zig zag stitches so its not been neglected!

Notes about the machine; the motor isn't the original one which came with the machine so I'm assuming the previous owner other than my aunty changed it. It also doesn't have a reverse stitch button which is a bit of a nuisance but I'm starting to get used to it. The motor is still a bit noisy so we believe we might need to change the bearing inside the motor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress

Why YOU need to get into sewing!