Why YOU need to get into sewing!

Hey guys!

I am often asked by friends, family and strangers about why did I start sewing and what inspires me to sew. I've mentioned this in my first sewing post so go check it out!

I was a broke student doing my GCSEs (still broke) and we was going on holiday that summer. I made a list of things I wanted to buy but I went over budget. With the gift of YouTube I was recommended loads of DIY videos, including a DIY Shorts Video. So I thought "Hey why not try this?". I made my first pair of shorts and here I am today with nearly all my clothes being handmade.

But why carry on sewing? Why not just buy it? Isn't it a lot of effort? 

Wow. The amount of times people have said this to me. The answer to most of those questions is yes, I can just buy it, yes it is a lot of effort. 

But sewing is more than just making a piece of clothing. Cringey but true. It teaches you one of the greatest disciplines in life..... to persevere. 

With anything in life, it takes time to achieve a goal. You start from knowing nothing to being the top of your game. The same with sewing.

Back to my story above, I started of with a pair of shorts. I forgot to mention that it didn't actually fit. Yeah it looked like a pair of shorts but it didn't fit my bum. I sat down and..... yeah it didn't fit because I didn't understand the anatomy of the body and patterns. 

But I was determined to try again. And again. And again. 

I would never have thought back then (2012) that I am able to make dresses, trousers and all sorts of clothing.

I had a lot of setbacks. Things didn't fit, didn't have enough fabric, things shrunk in the wash after I made them etc. 

But I persevered

With all the upsetting things that have happened in my life (along with all the good things), I feel that sewing gives me time to zone out of what's happening around me and focus on that one goal. For that 30 minutes or 1 hour, I'm free.

Yep I had to add a Fast and Furious line in there!

Now back to the question of, you could just buy it?

Yes that's true. But with the problem of fast fashion and poor working conditions of people who make those clothes, I believe that if I am able to make it myself, then why not? I'm not saying that fabric production industry doesn't have appalling conditions but every little helps.

Another reason I sew is I am able to make things that fit my body shape. I haven't got a really weird figure but I'm a bit short, a bit round around some edges and certain clothes are just not flattering on me (i.e. tops with full cleavage display ain't for me!) 

An average person can go on a 2 hour shopping trip and buy 6 dresses for £20 each for example. For me I can make a dress in 5 hours for £5. But is it worth it?

Yes because I take my time to sew each seam correctly, make sure that I fits my body and the fabric suits me etc. 

In terms of time, it takes a lot longer to sew clothes yourself. But each little bit I sew, I feel like I've accomplished something. I see improvements each time I sew. And I'm proud of the things I make.

Now why do YOU need to get into sewing?

I'm not saying that sewing is for everyone, but if you want a rewarding hobby, one which teaches you to persevere, time management and a sense of accomplishment, then sewing is the hobby for you. You might find that the first thing you make falls apart or is damn right ugly but you've made something at least. You'll also have something unique to you and in one sense summaries a journey of accomplishments to produce something.

Hope you find this post inspirational! x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress