DIY Jacket from an IKEA Blanket

Hi guys,

In this blog post I want to show you a jacket/cardigan (whatever you want to call it!), that I made during the winter. And yes the fabric I used is actually an IKEA blanket!

Unfortunately when I made the jacket I hadn't taken any photos of the construction so I'll do my best to explain what I did, but it's actually much easier then it looks because there are not many pattern pieces or seam finishing needed!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/blankets-throws/polarvide-throw-grey-art-50296990/



The blanket measures 130 x 170 cm which was enough to make the whole jacket and there were even some left over pieces which could be used to make trimmings etc.

Supplies:
  • IKEA throw
  • Matching thread
  • Sewing Machine
  • Bias binding (whatever size you want; I used a 15 mm size polycotton bias binding but I think it would look better in a 25 mm satin bias binding so that the trimming stands out more)
  • Pins
How to make the jacket:




  1. Trace around an existing cardigan; this should be loose fitting otherwise your jacket may end up too tight. The main purpose of this is to get a simple outline which should look like something above.
  2. The length of the jacket depends on how long you want it to be, if you make it longer than the one I made you may need two blankets and depending on the size as well, so I would suggest make the pattern pieces first and then lay them out on the ground and see whether it fits into the 130 x 170 cm size.
  3. Because of the slight stiffness of the blanket and for practicality, I decided instead of having a straight front seam on the front bodice, I removed roughly 1 inch from the neckline and connected it down to the bottom
  4. You will need 2 front bodice pieces, back bodice which can be cut on fold, 2 sleeve pieces and 2 pockets.
  5. Sew the side seams of the jacket, right size together and do the same for the shoulder seam.
  6. The actual throw is a similar fabric to felt so the seams do not need to be finished
  7. Sew the side seams of the sleeve and pin the sleeve into the arm hole and sew onto the jacket. 
  8. I then applied bias binding to the WRONG SIDE of the fabric. Usually you apply it to the right side however due to topstitching it is easier to apply to the wrong side first and then fold the bias binding over, pin down all the way round the jacket and top stitch the bias binding down.
  9. I did the same for the pockets and sewed the pockets down. Hem the sleeves and bottom using a slip stitch


                               

                               









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress

Why YOU need to get into sewing!