Walthamstow Fabric Haul: March 2019

Hey guys! Today I have another Walthamstow Fabric Haul. This time I was slightly more sensible by bringing a backpack with me to carry the fabric. But in total I still bought 17 pieces of fabric....
I usually always start of at St James street and work my way down the market, so hopefully the list of fabric shops below will follow in that order.

Hamid Fabrics


I got only one piece of fabric from this shop which was this beautiful stripped thin cotton fabric which was only 50p per meter and I got 2 meters. I plan on making a sleeveless shirt. Such a bargain. They had a table of fabrics for only 50p per meter but this one was the only one I liked. I could've maybe got hold of some other fabrics at the shop but I thought I could find stuff elsewhere. They had ponte knit fabrics as well which was £3 per meter but I didn't get it.

New Fabric Shop


I might have jinxed myself by saying this shop is usually not so packed but when I went there (on Friday) it was actually quite busy. Last time I came was on friday as well, but I think it was busy on this occasion as I believe their African-Wax fabrics might have been on sale, but I'm not sure. Unfortunately their ponte knit had gone up in price to £3 per meter which I was bit disappointed in but I guess its still cheap. At this shop I got:
  • 2 meters of this grey ponte knit fabric at £3 per meter, which I plan on making a pair (maybe even two pairs) of trousers with
  • 1.5 meters of this pink polycotton at £1.50 per meter. I plan on making a pleated top or shirt with but not sure...
  • 1.5 meters of this blue polycotton at £1.50 per meter. Again not sure yet but I have a few sketches drawn out for it
  • You might have noticed this grey fabric from my previous fabric haul. I made a booboo when making a pair of trousers out of this fabric and it ended up being too tight and the waistband was just disgraceful. But since I really wanted a grey pair of trousers, this was the only suitable suiting ish fabric so I thought I would buy it again and have another attempt. It was £2 per meter and got 2 meters.

Shop Number 3


For the life of me I cannot remember the name of this shop. I think was something like Burchas House fabrics, but it is quite near (I think across the street) to New Fabric Shop. This is a new shop opened up and wasn't there when I had gone in December. Surprisingly the owners are same as a shop that used to be on Walthamstow Market called Sai Fabrics which has been closed for over 5 years I think. So it was nice to see those owners again. Really nice fabrics again, not a massive selection but for me I found what I was looking for:
  • 2 meters of this buttercup yellow polycotton for £1.30 per meter. I really liked the colours of their polycotton as they are much paler and not too bright. I plan on making a wrap top with?
  • 1.5 meters of this lavender polycotton at £1.30 per meter. Not sure yet what to make
  • Okay. So this beautiful peachy pink fabric has really cute dainty flowers on which I though would be perfect for a top for work (once I get a job...) so I asked for 2 meters. The lady was asking what I was planning on making and I said a top and she said I could also make a skirt of dress with it, which I thought was really nice that they were having a conversation with me. But when she was cutting it, both me and her noticed that on the 2nd meter there were a few holes in the fabric probably of when it was in the warehouse etc. So she said she would just give the previous meter and that meter for free and cut me another two meters. So in total I have got around 4 meters of this fabric for £2 per meter. There isn't even that many holes so I thought that was super nice of her!

Market Stall 1


This shop was located before Sainsbury's and near a fish shop I believe??? But it was the same guy that I got hold of the shiny stretch knit fabrics in my last haul. I bought:
  • 2 meters of this herringbone tweed like fabric for £2.50 per meter which I plan on making a pair of trousers
  • 1.5 meters of this blue and white pin-stripped fabric (cotton) for £2 per meter which I plan on making a sleeveless shirt

African and Asian Fabric Shop


This shop and the next one are relatively close to each other but I'm not sure which one I got each sets of fabrics from. I got:
  • 2.5 meters of this white polycotton fabric for £1.50 per meter which I plan on making some tops with
  • 1.5 meters of this black polycotton for £1.50 per meter which I have actually already started making a sleeveless overlay top with and hopefully will blog once I've finished it
  • 1.5 meters of this nude pink viscose/linen mix which is again a fabric I bought last time and I didn't even realise I bought it again. I plan on making some sort of wrap top but I don't want it to look the same as the one I've already made so I'm going to play around with some design features. This was £1.50 per meter
  • 1.5 meters of this rust polycotton/viscose mix fabric at £1.50 per meter. This shop is honestly one of the only shops which sell plain viscose fabric!

Mateen Fabric Shop


Again this shop is quite near to African and Asian Fabric shop. I got:
  • 2 meters of this gingham polycotton for £2 meter meter which I plan on make a shirred top out of. I've recently learnt how to shirr fabric using my industrial machine
  • 1 meter of this wine red viscose at £1.50 per meter which was on sale which I plan on making a wrap top variation
  • 1 meter of this beautiful orange oriental flower print viscose at £2 per meter. This fabric is so pretty! Going to make a wrap top again!
I know I've mentioned making a wrap top several times but I've sketched out quite a few design variations to make them look different. I actually attempted to add darts to the pattern, which worked, but I'm not keen on how fitted the top is (I made it using the buttercup polycotton fabric above). I have managed to salvage the fabric, luckily, but still in the process of making it.

Since a lot of these fabrics I'm intending to make spring/summer appropriate work tops with, I would prefer if the tops are looser. So I thought that if I already like my wrap top pattern, why not just stick to it and just add some design variations? I know I'll get a lot more wear out of this design then one with darts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress

Why YOU need to get into sewing!