What to sew????

Hi guys!

Its been a while since I last did a blog post unfortunately. I went to university at the beginning of the month (final year.....eeek!), so it's been a hectic few months settling in. But nevertheless I haven't forgotten about the blog!

I wanted to talk about how I get my sewing inspiration as sometimes it can be hard to think of what to make and whether you want something fashionable or comfortable etc. So lets begin!

1) Comfort over fashion!

I'm all about having comfortable clothing. Nearly all my dresses in my wardrobe have an elastic waist because they allow me to not only get it on and off relatively easily but as I've mentioned in the previous blog post, you've got room to maneuver. This doesn't mean all clothing needs an elastic; this is just one of the many examples. But the same principles apply. It's better to be comfortable in the clothing rather than have something which you'll never want to wear again.

2) Assess your life style

Since I'm a uni gal, most of my time is either in lectures or in my uni room. So I don't need to wear formal clothing such as suits etc. That means that most of my clothing I sew has informal clothing. However once I start working, I will probably need more dress shirts, trousers etc. The point I'm trying to make is, make clothing which your lifestyle suits in the current moment.

3) Shop bought or handmade

Recently before I went to back to uni, I realised that I didn't have enough comfy t-shirts. But I also didn't want to spend time making these t-shirts as well since firstly my sewing machine isn't capable of sewing jersey/knit fabric and secondly I knew I would get bored of it. So instead I just bought the t-shirts from primark. So think about the amount of time you have sewing: if you've got limited sewing time, think about whether you could buy the simple garments instead and spend your actual sewing time on more fun projects.

4) Browse websites and shops

My two places I seek inspiration from are New look and Sainsbury's. I usual look on new looks website every now and then and see what the latest trends are and jot them down in my sketchbook. Sainsburys as well has great clothing as well (and quality), so I usually go to sainsburys and inspect the clothing such as seams and finishes to see any new techniques I can learn.

5) Invest in a sketchbook

Since I've been little, I've always loved drawing clothes. So once I do get a little inspiration, I jot these ideas down. Even if the season isn't correct for that clothing, I'll still write it down and come back to it later.




6) Be adventurous

Even though I love comfortable clothing, don't be afraid to make something different. It may work out, it may not, but at least you are learning. The thought process that goes into making something different will gather more inspiration such as improvements and modifications.

Hopefully this blog post helps!
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress

Why YOU need to get into sewing!