How I store my sewing supplies!

Hey guys! I really like looking at other sewer's work stations and how they store their supplies. I don't have a dedicated sewing room so I keep some of my supplies in my bedroom and some in the same room as my two sewing machines. Hopefully this post will give you some ideas on how to store certain supplies in a limited space!

Room Number 1




In my bedroom, I keep the sewing supplies that I don't use often, such as extra threads, buttons, zips, trimmings etc. There isn't any need to keep them downstairs as it takes up space and I like keeping it organised. The cardboard box in the photo fits nicely into my wardrobe so it prevents any dust getting into the containers.

Threads




Due to the limited space, I have bought a spool thread hanger to put up on a wall. I'm actually okay with that, as the way I store my threads prevents dust getting to them or someone randomly playing with my threads or making fun of my larger thread stash (I see you mum and dad)! I use a Celebrations tin to store all my thread, and the depth of the box is good for nearly all the different brands of thread (so it fits Coats & Moon threads). As you can see, the tin is already full so I have another circular tin to fit the excess threads.

Buttons




I'm currently using this purple tin to store my buttons but it is slightly over-filling and it is a nuisance to find the buttons I'm looking for. I might invest in those clear compartment adjustable boxes which I think you can get at the pound store or eBay. I put the buttons into these clear plastic coin pouches which I got from the bank.

Zips




As I mentioned previously in my previous post, I've made trousers, my grandma had given me a tone of zips which she got from India. I think you can pick up zips for roughly 5p each or something ridiculous, and can even pick up the metal zips for a similar price. I store them in this long Clarks shoe box.

Elastic




My elastic box is boring and ugly, but it does the job so oh well. I also order my elastic from eBay as it is cheaper than buying it in the shops. I have different sizes stored in this box and I also try to reuse old elastic as well.

Trimmings




I store my lace trimmings in this really cool basket. My mum used to store her sewing supplies in there but once I got into sewing she gave it to me. It's such a pretty box, but the only problem is, the lid doesn't stay open so it's a bit fiddly.

Random box




This is a random box which has a mixture of bias binding, spare chalk and some iron-on stickers. My mum's uncle used to own a silk screening company in Kenya I believe so there are some really cool stickers which I haven't got round to using. Hopefully they still iron-on, but aren't they cool?!

Embroidery thread




During August, us Hindus celebrate Rakshabandhan, which is were you tie a rakhi onto your brother or cousin brother out of respect and appreciation for them. Instead of buying them from the store, I started making them for people. I also make them for my mum to tie on her brothers as well. I ordered the embroidery thread of eBay as well and it was really inexpensive.

Fabric




I store my fabric in these see through containers which I have had since I was about 4 years old. I'm also using an old fruit container from our old fridge to store the excess fabric as well.

Room Number 2

Sewing Table




So my industrial sewing machine is attached to a table which has this little green slide out draw which I keep my scissors, chalk, spare bobbins, spare needles etc. I made a reversible pouch which keeps my industrial sewing machine needles and bobbins. I also keep my other sewing machines tools in here as well because that machine I've also put onto the table.

Blue Sainsbury's box




I usually cut out my fabric in our living room rather than in my bedroom as there is more space downstairs to spread the fabric out. This meant that it was more appropriate to store my patterns downstairs. I keep my patterns in a folder to prevent them getting damaged. I also keep other supplies in this box such as excess fabric from the project I'm working on, spare threads and general pieces that I might need to use quickly during a project.


My setup is not really ideal as everything is all over the place (i.e. in two different rooms), but because this is my hobby and I live with my parents, I don't feel it's necessary to have just one room to myself (ideally, in a dream world, I would love this). I do believe, however, that it shows you can still have a dedicated area if you keep things tidy. For example, I do my best to tidy up after each sewing session, and things are left in their containers and stored away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress

Why YOU need to get into sewing!