DIY Sewing Machine Cover


So I've got a really quick and easy DIY tutorial for you today and it is a sewing machine cover.

I made a patchwork style cover for my beloved SINGER sewing machine and decided to make another cover for a future machine or to give as a gift. The great thing about this is you can use scrap pieces of fabrics from old projects and would be a brillant gift for someone.

What you will need:

  • Scrap fabrics or fat quarters
  • Scissors
  • Thread
  • Lining fabric
  • Stuffing (could use an old pillow; that's what I did)
  • Iron
  • Pins

Tutorial and pattern:

1. Cut 40 6" x 6" squares of fabric. You will also need to cut a lining fabric which should measure 30" x 48".

2. To start the pattern, will be sew a row of squares first and then attach each row to each other. First, place two squares right sides together and sew a straight stitch. 

3. Repeat this to make a row of 5 squares.
4. Repeat this to make 8 rows in total of 5 squares sewn together (image is missing other row as I was ironing it): 
5. Iron the seams so that the squares lay flat
6. Now sew each row together so that all rows are attached to each other to produce a 5 square by 8 square sheet.

7. Now right sides together sew the lining to the quilted sheet you just made, leaving a gap to add stuffing into.
8. Add the stuffing through the gap. You can add some extra stitches to secure the stuffing in place.
9. I added some ties to the side so that the cover can be taken off easily:
10. And there you go..... you have yourself a sewing machine cover! You can make it any size you want to fit any machine. I made one many years ago which I've used to cover my regular sewing machine, and this one I'm planning on using it on my industrial machine (more news on that next post) or give to my grandma. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress

Why YOU need to get into sewing!