Walthamstow Fabric Haul 2018


Hi guys,


So as you are probably aware there is a saying 'Shop till you drop'...... well lets just say I did that with my fabric shopping haul the other week. Literally dropped. I came back from shopping with two massive Sainsburys heavy duty shopping bags over filling with fabric, plonked them on the floor, ran into my living room and fell on the floor feeling exhausted from shopping.... to the point I strained my arms and was in agony over the weekend. WHAT. AN. IDIOT!

But of course it was all in good cause because I am so pleased with what I got! In total I bought 17 pieces of fabric and roughly 29 meters in total (no wonder my arms were hurting!)

My fabric haul!


Although it might not seem like a lot of fabric but my aim of this haul was to get more winter appropriate fabric so some heavy ponte knit fabrics and suiting fabrics so they are quite thick!

Hamid Fabrics:

So Hamid Fabrics was the first shop I went to. From left to right:
  • Green satin fabric was £2 p/m and I got two meters which I intend to make a shirt blouse with. Photos weren't coming out nice for it but the colour is lime green.
  • Pink ponte knit fabric was £3 p/m and I got two meters. I have already made a cardigan out of it which I am soooo pleased with and hopefully will blog it soon.
  • Black ponte knit fabric was £3 p/m and I got two meters. I am in debate whether to make another cardigan or to make trousers with, both of which I am in need of but I think I am leaning towards trousers as the ponte knit has stretch so would be good for fitting trousers.
New Fabric Shop:

Probably one of my favourite shops because the staff are really friendly and it is never too busy in there so you don't feel you have to rush. (This is the store with the green and white logo)
Clockwise:

  • Blue ponte knit fabric at £2 p/m and I got two meters. So cheaper than Hamid Fabrics so next time I might go here first. I plan on making trousers again because it has a nice stretch to it.
  • Small checkered suiting fabric at £2 p/m and I got two meters. Again trousers. Was really surprised at how cheap it was and I like the minimal print as well. No stretch to it but I think it would still be fine for trousers. 
  • Grey suiting fabrics at £2 p/m and I got two meters. Again trousers (lol- you can tell what I am lacking in my wardrobe!) It has a black soft backing to it which was interesting but I think that will be good against the skin.
  • Blush pink floral viscose at £2.50 p/m and I got one meter. I plan on making a wrap top with it.
Fabric Store

I have mixed feelings about this store. Don't get me wrong, it has some amazing bargains with fabrics ranging from 50p to £3 p/m and a good range. However I usually never have a good experience here. Firstly whenever I get fabric cut it's usually the last on the bolt so if I ask for 2 meters they insist I buy the last meter, and even though that is good, I don't like wasting fabric especially since I am quite good with fitting a project out of a specified amount. Secondly, and especially on this occasion the fabric was already cut weirdly and the person insisted that it is still 2 meters, but when I got back home and measured the fabric, it was a 1.5 meter. This might not seem like a big deal but the fabric I got has a directional print so I am going to have to play some tetris to make the trousers fit. Thirdly this store is always packed with people and to be completely blunt, certain customers don't have no manners and just push in the queue to get fabric cut. Not trying to put people off at all but just to be aware, probably the reason why I only got this fabric:




I got this pleated polyester fabric for £2 per meter and got two meters (cough cough.... no I payed for 2 but got 1.5 :( ). I plan on making culottes with these. I've seem so many culottes made out of this fabric and even my graduation jumpsuit from Miss Selfridge was made out of this in a blush pink. The fabric is really soft and nice against the skin and doesn't fray either.


Mateen Fabric Store 

I used to get a lot of my viscose fabrics from here but I think they have reduced there selection. Again a nice store with a mixture of african, asian and lace fabrics.

I got this dusky pink thick viscose or cotton or linen (have no idea but it is much thicker than a normal viscose fabric) for £2 p/m and I got two meters. Not sure on what to make but probably trousers as it is quite thick and not see through.

Market Stall 1

Unfortunately I have no idea which stall I got these fabrics from. Usually I never get fabric from the stalls, just because I've usually already found fabric in the shops. But since I hadn't really got hold of any viscose fabrics I thought I would look at some of the stalls. This haul was massive! Funny story, I bought about 3 of the fabrics first, walked off and was still not satisfied that I bought enough so I came back and bought more. The stall holder thought I was travelling from another country, little did he know I was just being an impulse buyer!
Clockwise:

  • Blue floral viscose which was £1.50 p/m and I got 2. I intend of making a maxi dress with buttons going down the side, similar to ones I have already made.
  • Red floral viscose which was £1.50 p/m and I got 2. Didn't realise until I got home that it is the same print as the blue one. Don't mind though. I'm going to make a long sleeve wrapped top. Both viscose fabrics are really good quality and thickness which I was really surprised by considering the price.
  • Black viscose at £1.50 p/m and I got 2. A different type of viscose fabric but still thick. I'm not sure what I want to do with this, maybe trousers or a kimono- impulse buy.
  • Plain black viscose at £1.50 p/m and I got 1 meter. My wardrobe is lacking a simple black top so I'm going to make a wrap top (literally obsessed with wrap tops after I made one a couple of weeks ago which I love!)
  • Printed viscose at £1.50 p/m and I got 1 meter. Impulse buy for sure. It is slightly thinner than the other viscose but has similar weight/ feel to polycotton? Not sure what to make...
  • Rust pleated cotton at only £1 p/m and I got 2 meters. I was shocked that is was only £1 per meter. I have nearly finished making a pair of trousers with them which has been a slight rollercoaster of a ride making them but I'm nearly finished with them and pleased I didn't give up. 
Market Stall 2


Again I have no idea where this stall was located.
From left to right:

  • Blush pink knit fabric which was £1.50 per meter and I got 1 meter. The fabric is slippery and similar to some fabric used for bras..... it's very hard to describe. Also similar to what is used for slips under dresses which you can pick up from Marks and Spencer. But I have already cut into this to make a wrap top and did a test sample on my industrial machine and it has sewn it perfectly. Of course it was a straight stitch so not really the sort of stitching you would do but it works!
  • Rust pink knit fabric at £1.50 per meter and I got 2 meters. Again same sort of knit fabric and I intend of making a wrap dress!

And that concludes my epic haul which I am really pleased with. Didn't pick up any thread because my arms couldn't handle it but I think I've got all the colours I need anyway.
Here are some sketches I did of what I am planning on making:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SINGER 195K1 Industrial Sewing Machine

My Latest Make: DIY Maxi Dress

Why YOU need to get into sewing!